Friday, April 27, 2012

DIY Project--Attack of the Lace Bridal Gown

I think it was back in January of 2011 that I purchased this dress from Urban Outfitters.  I found it on the sale rack for $10, and it was such a monstrosity of lace and ugliness that I just had to try it on!  My mom has a picture of me originally trying it on, and if I can get that from her, I'll try to post it, but here's what the dress originally looked like:


High-neck of lace, long lace sleeves, lace, lace lace lace lace!!!!! It actually reminds me of my mom's wedding dress (although I think she looked beautiful in hers)...Dad in the gray, however, that's another story :)


But of course, I saw this dress as a project.  I didn't have a clue what I was going to do with it, and figured if I failed, I only spent $10 on it, so no real loss.  So, pretty soon after I got it I decided to cut off the sleeves and pretty much the entire neckline.  I really liked how it turned out, much more modern, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that I looked like I was wearing a wedding dress.  But unfortunately, grad school overtook my entire life, and the dress has been sitting, untouched in my closet for over a year...






Until now!!!  I decided awhile ago I wanted to dye the dress black, as you all know I have an obsession with black lace, so I thought why not try a long black lace "wedding" dress!  This week I finally decided to just go for it!

So I dyed it...and it came out anything but black!  I read somewhere that when dying something, you need to go in with no expectations, because if you do, you'll be sorely disappointed.  So I went in with no idea how this was going to turn out, and this is what I got:


And you know what?  I LOVE IT!  It's a beautiful shade of purple, and has transformed into a perfect summer dress.  You can dress it up with heels, dress it down with sandals, add a belt, jacket, WHATEVER!







Too keep it from looking too "dainty", I added some funky heels, and some "not so dainty" jewelry :)


Leather & Gold Cuffs: both Ann Taylor
Leopard ring: purchased in Chinatown in NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...